Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Pets

What does a Pet mean to you...
                                                                                   
This is the definition that I found on Wikipedia..  


pet is an animal kept for companionship and enjoyment or a household animal, as opposed to wild animals or to livestocklaboratory animalsworking animals or sport animals, which are kept for economic or productive reasons


I Just thought I touch on the subject of Pets this week...as I think they are a very important part of a lot of people's lives, and they are also a part of our children's life....


When I think of a Pet these come to mind:

  • companionship
  • friendship
  • loyal
  • enjoyment
  • learning to care
  • respect for animals
  • a learning curve
  • fun
As a child growing up....we used to live a little apartment in Europe, my father loved animals and he somehow manged to have Rabbits, Pigeons, we had a small turtle, canaries,and even at one stage a dog. From my childhood I remember I used not to be very confident with animals and actually I grew up being quite scared of them.....I still do not know why...considering that we had all these around..I know though that I did not like the time when they used to put down a rabbit or chicken to cook for dinner....see Rabbit is one our Delicatessen back home....so I think that must have left a very bad impact on me.

When I had my kids, once I visited a friend and she had 2 Labradors..she knew I was not comfortable with animals so she put them in her bedroom, my son then was 2 yrs old and was playing with her son, well her son opened the bedroom door .... out they came, and my poor son was petrified..........As he grew older the minute he saw a dog he used to take off, until one fine day...I plugged up some courage and we decided to buy him a dog for his birthday. We bought this gorgeous Cocker Spaniel....she was a black ball with these long ears when we bought her...and we both helped each other and overcome  our fears as we grew with her as she grew older...We are both fine now around animals.....Sadly I had to put her down last year as she became sick and I really cried my heart out as she was really my soul mate....One day I will have the courage to bring another one...

What do you do to encourage your kids to enjoy and love animals....I would love you to hear your thoughts...I have the intention to continue this post after I hear some of your comments....



5 comments:

amandab said...

We've had cats since before Princess was born, but her favourite animals are farm animals, which she has met at various children's farms around Melbourne.

Previously her love was for goats, but after our last visit she now really loves turkeys and would love to have one of her own. She made friends with one particular turkey who would come up to the front of his cage and talk to her every time she went near it. She fell in love and kept goig back to talk to him too :)

joyce:waddleeahchaa.com said...

Thought you might like this book, "What Pets Teach Us". I know there are lots of pet books out there for young children but this one really gives you a true image of different kinds of pets and what we can learn from them. Great for ages 1 yr. to 9yrs. Although I am a Grandmother and I Love this book too. Thanks for the post. :)

Marthese said...

Thank you Joyce...I will put in my next post....http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1595433937?ie=UTF8&tag=waddleeahchaa-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1595433937

Christie - Childhood 101 said...

I grew up with cats and my husband with dogs so I am sure pets will be on our family agenda at some stage, just not quite yet as I don't think a toddler is quite ready for the responsibility. We are thinking we might start with a guinea pig - small and not too hard to clean up after :)

Romantic Flair Original said...

You Know when you are ready to take the plunge Christie..Pets are a big responsibility..so the time will come!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails