Monday, June 14, 2010

Educational wooden toys



Educational Wooden Toys

I am going to try and give you a few basic hints as to what you should be looking for when making your choice for purchasing or sourcing out Toys for preschool age kids.

Firstly I a firm believer of offering kids toys made out of natural material and echo friendly toys.

I am not a lover of plastic toys. My first on the list is Educational wooden toys, and also if they are painted make sure that paint is non toxic. All toys in my store are painted with non toxic paint.

Now the following are some food for thought to think when making your choice..
  • manipulative skills
  • pretend play 
  • sorting, lacing, threading
  • imaginative play
  • language skills
  • story telling
  • learning difficulties
  • behaviour  problems
  • social problems
  • co-ordination
  • fine motor skills
  • building, designing
  • colour recognition
  • mathematical concepts
With a toy you might be able to cover one or many concepts of the above...so think what do you really want to achieve, or what are you trying to develop or encourage more in your child.
When you are buying a gift for your child being your child or otherwise, I encourage choosing something that has a purpose behind it as well....kids get bored very easily, so it is great to have in mind that while they are playing, they are also enriching or developing their skills...
I hope you find this  helpful in choosing the right Educational Wooden Toy for your child...below are some of the range of products that you will find in my store... I would also like to hear your input...would love some feedback or comments....always love comments!
    




7 comments:

Marita said...

We love our wooden toys. I find my girls both respond to the texture and feel of wooden toys much better than plastic.

Romantic Flair Original said...

Yes I agree Marita 100%, thanks for your input!

Wicked Al said...

We have always gone for wooden toys. They also last longer. My dad used to make them also.

amandab said...

The kinds of toys we have liked has certainly evolved from the mass produced, limited use plastic toys to the more natural, open ended play toys. Unfortunately, others don't always get this and then we end up with toys that don't figure high on our agenda.

I have learnt to embrace Barbie, but my sister will NEVER be forgiven for the Bratz doll!

Marthese said...

Thank you Allie, and Amanda for your input...
Allie...that is a great interaction with your dad having him making your own toys!
Amanda...I know we end up with a choice of toys that perhaps we did not want to buy for our kids...but for future you can always indicate that you prefer that your kids would be given those sort of toys...

Christie - Childhood 101 said...

In honesty, when I was working in child care, I was much more drawn to plastic toys as they just have to be cleaned SO OFTEN! Now, as a Mum, I love wood (and other natural materials) and hardly buy plastic at all.

Romantic Flair Original said...

yes I think we were all in the same boat...Plastic toys are accessible as they are found more in Department stores, but I think today's mums are offering natural products more...people forget that they can be washed as well...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails